Friday, February 8, 2008

Not A Baby Boomer, But Not A Bad Person Either

What does it mean that Google is advertising Ambien on my blog? Does it read like the incoherent musings of someone sleep-deprived? Or that the only readers are those with persistent insomnia? This may come as a shock, but I usually do get enough sleep, and hope all four of my readers do, too; I believe in both caring for others and self-care. I slide into martyrdom occasionally, but try not to make it a habit. (Sorry, Ambien marketeers).

I attended a meeting today of about 12 people, and was the second youngest person in attendance, as usual. I'm used to this, but when an insensitive 20-something was discussed as a "baby," I bristled. This guy sounded like the kind who'll still be a jerk at 50, so I wish they wouldn't chalk it up to his youth. When another person in attendance referred to our whole group as baby boomers, I bristled again. Ageism goes both ways. Don't assume 80-somethings have dementia, and don't assume I'm an insensitive, self-obsessed jerk because I'm not yet 40. Some don't trust anyone over 30; in my business, I know just as many that don't trust anyone UNDER 35. Yet I said nothing, because in this prickly atmosphere, I didn't want to remind the group of my terrible, problematic relative youth.

It's February in Minnesota, and winter has lost most of its charm for most of us. Many of the elders at work are relative prisoners in their own homes, for fear of falling on snow and ice. It's a legitimate fear, too--one of our volunteers badly wrenched his back just this week, and he's a hearty person.

On a more positive note, I'm taking the kids to a family-friendly concert, and today's Friday. To beat the blahs, winter or otherwise, I'm a firm believer in exercise, music, healthy, interesting food, faith communities, and other wholesome institutions. I'm thankful to have young, energetic kids who propel me forward toward the light, even when the days feel a little dark and short. I'll do my best to pay forward their enthusiasm with those who consider ME a kid, at 32!

No comments: